We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the Service. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, for our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the Service, and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
There are currently five categories of users on our Service: teachers, parents, fans, customers (who purchase various products), and students. Additionally, as a non-logged in general visitor to the Artsonia Website you may provide personal information to us. We describe the information collected from students, including students under 13, in the How We Protect Children's Personal Information section above; for other users, we collect and store the information provided from each type of user as described below. Our use of the information set forth below is described further in the How We Use the Information We Collect section. If you are using the Artsonia App, we may ask you for certain mobile app permissions. We have also prepared this chart of the personal information we collect, how we use it, and where it is stored.
Information Provided by Teachers
- Account Sign-up and Profile Information: Any teacher who wishes to display their students' Artwork, lesson plans or other educational materials on Artsonia is required to register as a member and will be asked to provide some basic information such as first and last name, email address, phone number, password and a profile photo. A teacher may also choose to provide an additional personal description or "bio." The information provided during the registration process is used to communicate with the teacher as well as to create a public school gallery on Artsonia, which will list the teacher's name, profile photos (if provided), bio (if provided) and the name of the school. The teacher's name will also be used in automated emails from Artsonia, sent on behalf of the teacher, such as teacher-requested newsletters and student activity reports. If an Artsonia Website visitor sends a compliment to a teacher in the public gallery (the teacher's email is not shown publicly), Artsonia will deliver this compliment to the teacher's email address on file. Teacher profiles may be viewed by other teachers and by the general public on the Service.
- School Information: As a teacher, as part of the profile information you provide, you will be asked to provide the name and address of the school that you are associated with (or to associate your account with an existing school already recognized on the Service). By connecting you with your school, the Service may enable and provide additional collaboration features for teachers within the same school such as sharing roster students with other verified teachers in that school.
- Class Information: To organize Artwork and to allow students to use the Service, teachers input first and (optionally) last names of students in a student roster. It is entirely the teacher's choice what they enter here: for example, teachers could enter John S or John Smith. The first and last names are entered into separate fields, and unique screennames are then generated by Artsonia for each student, based on the entry in the first name field. Additionally, teachers will need to enter the student's grade (e.g. first grade), and optionally homeroom information as well as the student's parent email address. The parent email address given to Artsonia by the student's teacher will be used to obtain parental consent and will not be further by Artsonia unless the parent separately creates an account on Artsonia. Alternatively, teachers can also upload a spreadsheet to the Service with the students first and last names, current grade and parent email address. Student last names are used to identify students in the school roster and are only visible to verified teachers at the same school. Homeroom names are used to organize the roster for the teacher's benefit and are only viewable within that teacher's account. The student's first names are used in email correspondences to parents and Fan Club Members and is also the default caption (which can be edited) on all custom merchandise sold in the gift shop.
- Lesson Plans: As a teacher, you may choose to submit information about your lesson plans on Artsonia ("Lesson Plans"). Such information may include, the lesson title, grade level, content and achievement standards, objective of the lesson, how to assess the achievement of the objectives, the required materials, a description of the lesson procedure, resources, discussion questions, and links to sample artwork. Once you publish your Lesson Plans, they can be viewed by other teachers signed into the Artsonia Platform or Artsonia App, but they will not be viewable by the general public on the Artsonia Website. Additionally, you may choose to: 1) turn off the ability to allow other teachers to provide feedback on your Lesson Plans (the feedback will only be viewable by you unless you later elect to publish the feedback) and 2) opt-in to allow Artsonia to share your Lesson Plans with other artist and teacher organizations.
- Artwork: As a teacher you may elect to either turn on the Class Portal feature to allow students to upload their own Artwork (and corresponding title and statements) or you may choose to upload the student's Artwork yourself (as well as optionally providing the corresponding title and statement). The Artwork that you upload on behalf of the students, as well as the Artwork you approve while using the Class Portal, will not be shown publicly (along with the student's unique screenname) until Artsonia receives parental consent. Additionally, you may choose to upload your own Artwork, which will be immediately available to the public under a screenname you choose to represent you as the teacher, and will also be shown next to your teacher bio in the school gallery, which may display certain personal information entered with your bio, including your first and last name and photograph.
- Feedback: As a teacher, you can provide feedback on your student's Artwork. This feedback cannot be viewed by the general public through our Service. A student's feedback can only be viewed on Artsonia by that student (if the teacher utilizes the Class Portal feature), the teacher who wrote the feedback, that student's parents, and other teachers the class is shared with.
- Messaging: As a teacher, you can create an electronic newsletter to communicate with parents as well as student activity reports. We will store any content sent with the electronic newsletters (e.g., links text and images), to provide the Service, and to help teachers keep a log of their communications with parents.
- Testimonials: You may provide personal information (such as your name, photo and/or a video) if you choose to give us a testimonial. We post testimonials on our Service or the Artsonia Website which may contain this personal information in the testimonial. We obtain the individual's consent in advance to ensure we have permission to post this content publicly. To request removal of your personal information from our testimonials, please contact us as described in the Contacting Artsonia section below.
- Fundraising Information: As a teacher, you may participate in fundraising on Artsonia if your school is located in the United States or Canada. If so, you may also provide a fundraising statement and photo which will be sent along with your full name in emails to parents and Fan Club Members, including to promote products (e.g. the custom keepsakes containing Artwork from the student's in the teacher's class). Additionally, once a teacher has received funds, they may enter additional personal information to redeem funds, including directly on third party sites (e.g. Amazon).
Teachers should be aware that, because personal information about themselves (i.e., their name, profile photo, bio and school) and any Artwork they submit (either their own Artwork or that of their students) is posted on the Artsonia Website and is publicly accessible to all users of the Artsonia Website, that information or content could be collected, used, and disclosed by others. Additionally, Lesson Plans can be viewed by other teachers as well as feedback on your Lesson Plans (if you elect to publish the feedback). Also, if you chose to do so, your Lesson Plans may be shared with other organizations. Artsonia is not responsible for the collection, use, or disclosure of such information or content by others you choose to share with, or those that view your information or content publicly. Artsonia does not publicly post teachers' email addresses on the Artsonia Website, and does not sell or share that list with third parties except where teachers have explicitly authorized Artsonia to do so, or to our service providers as necessary to provide the Service.
Information Provided by Parents
Account Sign-up and Profile Information: As a parent, you may wish to sign-up for an account on Artsonia and connect to your child at a participating school. You will need a unique parent code from that child's teacher, which will either be sent home to you directly with your child or be sent to you via an email link from the email address provided by your child's teacher to Artsonia. You will then be asked to provide some basic information such as first and last name, email address (if you were not sent the link via email), phone number (optional), password, and relationship to the child (e.g. mother). The information provided during the registration process is used to communicate with the parent as well as to create a public school art gallery on Artsonia, which will list the parent's first name as well as the relationship to the child in the child's art gallery as a Fan Club Member. Parent profiles are not viewable by the general public on the Service, but first name and relationship to the child will be in the Fan Club Member list linked to the artist gallery. You may also create an account on behalf of your child that is not connected to a school by providing the child's first and last name and your email address. Only the information provided by you in the "first name" box will be used to create a unique screenname for your child and posted publicly.
Please note that if you do not create an account on Artsonia, the email provided by your child's teacher will not be further used to send marketing communications to you. If you created an account on Artsonia, we will email you as further set forth under the section entitled Communications from Artsonia.
- Fan Club Information: As a parent, you may invite others to become fans of your child's Artwork. To do so, you provide certain information to Artsonia, such as the individual's first name, last name, relationship to your child and their email address. The information you provide in the "first name" box and relationships that you provide to Artsonia will be shown publicly alongside your child's art gallery. Artsonia will use the emails that you provide to send notifications to these individuals, including when new Artwork is published, and may send additional marketing emails. Fan Club Members always have the option to opt-out of any marketing communications using opt-out links at the bottom of emails received. See the section entitled Communications from Artsonia for more details.
- Artwork: As a parent (if you have a parent account on Artsonia) you may elect to upload your child's Artwork (and corresponding title and statements) yourself. The Artwork that you upload on behalf of your child will be shown publicly with the child's screenname.
- Comments on Artwork: As a parent, you will receive notice when anyone (student or non-student) leaves comments about your child's Artwork. If a non-student leaves a comment about your child's Artwork you must approve the comment prior to the comment being posted publicly (student comments will be approved by your child's teacher before being publicly posted). Please click here for additional information on how to edit or delete the comment.
Parents should be aware that, because 1) the information the parent types in the first name field textbox when registering on Artsonia or when adding Fan Club Member, or 2) the content they upload when adding any Artwork of behalf of their child or 3) any comments on their child's Artwork they approve, are posted on the Artsonia Website and are publicly accessible to all users of the Artsonia Website, that information or content could be collected, used, and disclosed by others. Artsonia is not responsible for the collection, use, or disclosure of such information or content by others.
Information Provided by Fans or Fan Club Members
- Account Sign-up and Comments: Any individual who wishes to sign-up as a fan of an artist ("Fan" or "Fan Club Member") will be asked to provide some basic information such as first and last name, email address, relationship to the child (e.g. aunt), and date of birth. Artsonia asks for the date of birth as only users over thirteen (13) years of age are allowed to leave comments on the Service (unless they are leaving comments in a school setting using Class Portal with their teacher approving the comments). The information provided during the signup process is used to communicate with the individual regarding the artist's activity and as set forth in the Communications from Artsonia section and the information provided in the "first name" box will be shown publicly alongside any comments left by the fan next to the student's Artwork in the public art gallery on Artsonia. Individuals may also choose just to provide a comment and not join an artist's Fan Club, but will still be required to fill out the "first name" field. All comments submitted by non-students, including those that choose to become a Fan Club Member, are first sent to the artist's parent for review prior to being publicly posted. A Fan may also choose to leave a comment for an artist by sending a postcard, and if so, the individual will be providing additional information as set forth under the Information Provided By Customers section below. Fan Club Member profiles are not viewable by the general public on the Service, but the artist's parents are able to view and edit the first and last name, email address and relationship of the Fan Club Member and may also remove any Fan Club Member.
Please note, that even if you did not join as a Fan Club Member yourself, you may have been added as a Fan Club Member by the child's parent (who also provided Artsonia your name, email address and relationship to the artist). The email provided either by you during a Fan Club Member signup or by the child's parent will be used to provide communications to you as set forth under the section entitled Communications from Artsonia. Any email communication you receive will provide an opt-out link if you wish to be removed as a Fan Club Member from the artist.
Information Provided by Customers (purchasers of product)
Online shoppers on the Artsonia Website must be over eighteen (18) years of age and must use a valid credit card or other valid payment method accepted by us to purchase products online. When an online order is placed, we collect information associated with the requested transaction, such as the customer's first and last name, mailing address, phone number, products ordered, shipping addresses, email address, and credit card information. We ask for this information so that we may fulfill the order. We will send a confirmation email to the address provided after the order is successfully placed. We also send a follow-up order satisfaction survey which may contain additional promotional offers. A customer may also provide personalization on the product (i.e. providing a student's name under the Artwork) and may also upload an image to Artsonia to use on products. If a customer wishes to upload their own image, they will additionally be asked their date of birth as this feature is restricted to users over thirteen (13) years of age. Credit card or other payment information is never shared with third parties, except those service providers needed to fulfill the transactions.
For additional information on our credit card security policies, please see our Data Security section below.
Information Provided by Users of the Artsonia Website
- Comments or Compliments: Any visitor to the Artsonia Website may provide additional information to Artsonia, such as when they choose to leave a comment for an artist, or compliment a teacher. This additional information may include, date of birth (as we restrict access to certain features on the Artsonia Website), first name, and the information typed in a comment or compliment.
- Contact Information: Additionally, any visitor to the Artsonia Website (including anyone signed in as a teacher or parent), may also choose to voluntarily provide additional personal information through the Service - such as a name, email address and telephone number - in order to request information from us. For example, when you send us an email asking a question, send us information through the "Contact Us" request, submit a support request, participate in a video testimonial about our Service, register for webinars or demonstrations, sign up for an Artsonia newsletter, or choose to participate in any research efforts with Artsonia to improve the Service. When you send us a message using the "Contact Us" page or via email, the email addresses and phone numbers collected are not further used to market to the individual beyond providing the services requested or responding to the requests.
Users of the Service should be aware that any personal information that is posted on the Service (such as your comment for an artist or compliment for a teacher along with your name) is accessible to other users of the Service and could be collected, used and disclosed by others. Artsonia is not responsible for the collection, use, or disclosure of such information or content by others.